my quest to build a replica donkey kong arcade machine

Sunday, February 26, 2012

primer


This weekend I put two coats of primer on the cabinet. I used BIN shellac-based primer because that's what everyone else on BYOAC and KLOV uses.

I applied the primer with a 1/4 inch nap roller and a foam brush. I sanded with 400 grit sandpaper between coats and wiped it down with a tack cloth.

I wasn't expecting the primer to have the viscosity of whole milk but it worked extremely well.

One quart was enough for almost exactly one coat but I didn't primer the inside where the computer will go. I wish that I had put some newspaper down in there though because I did get some drips in there.

Always remember to keep your tack cloths in an old jar to keep them from drying out. That's a tip I picked up from The Furniture Guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment