my quest to build a replica donkey kong arcade machine

Monday, January 30, 2012

Assembly of cabinet

I decided to assemble everything with biscuits and glue. This guy assembled his with brackets. I'm sure mine is stronger but glue is so permanent that I think I will use his method next time to make adjustments if necessary.

First I glued the bottom to the front. Then I cut biscuit holes in the sides so that I could lay one side of the cabinet on the workbench, assemble the front, backs, top, and bottom, put the other side on, and clamp it all together. I somehow lost the photos of the whole thing on its side all clamped up but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

For the base, I used a 2x4 that I trimmed down to 3" so 1.5 inches is hidden and 1.5 inches is visible. J.Avery used a 1x4 made of maple which was too expensive for me. I figured that because nobody would ever see the bottom, a 2x4 would be better.

I did not assemble the pieces that hold the marquee and the bezel yet because I want to get those pieces first to make sure they fit. If everything looks ok, I will post the measurements for all of the pieces of the cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment